This tasty risotto pairs well with our Molly's Cradle Sauvignon Blanc - give it a try!
- About 6 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 shallots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arborio or other short- or medium-grain white rice
- 3/4 cup Molly's Cradle Sauvignon Blanc
- In a 2- to 3-litre pan over high heat, bring 6 1/2 cups stock to a simmer; cover and reduce heat to maintain simmer.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, whirl basil, garlic, and 1 teaspoon olive oil until coarsely chopped. Add cheese and blend until finely ground.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and the butter to a 5- to 6-litre pan over medium-high heat; when hot (mixture will be foamy), add shallots and stir often until limp, 1 to 2 minutes. Add rice and stir often until beginning to turn opaque, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add wine and stir until absorbed, about 1 minute. Add 6 cups stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring after each addition until almost absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes total. Stir in basil mixture and cook, stirring often, until rice is barely tender to bite and mixture is creamy, about 2 minutes longer. If risotto is thicker than desired, stir in a little more stock.